Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Divon Williams



I was raised in a very stable and structured middle class home right off the camas highway. Lived there all my childhood life, until I went off to college at OSU. My parents have been married since before I was born. My father, the pastor of the Abundant Life Church of Christ, and my mother now a retired RN. Growing up I was very fortunate, daddy use to say that I had the favor of God, being I was the only child my mother was able to conceive so they showered me with love, protection and material things. I was involved in every kind of afterschool, recreational activity and developmental program there was. Church was not an option. I was taught that it was a way of life that people had to live if they were to make it into the eternal kingdom of God. That scared that be-Jesus-outah-me, as a kid. However the church life was hectic for me as a kid. Four days out of the week I had to attend a type of service. There was early morning bible study school followed by the traditional Sunday service. Then Tuesday evening prayer, Wednesday night was, youth crusaders night, and then Saturday was the youths choir rehearsal. Not to mention girl scouts, dance and vocal lessons on Monday, Thursday and Friday. I was a child who had no down time, or personal play time, I was always exhausted from the intense schedule my parents set for me. I always enjoyed the family vacations we took for three days each month to places like Newport Beach, Mt. Hood and Vancouver, BC. They were relaxing and gave me time to run around and be a kid. I felt as if my parents suffocated the life out of me, because I had no freedom at all. I wasn’t allowed to hang out with friends afterschool, stay overnight at girlfriends houses, they were so suspicious of everything and drove me insane with their lack of trust. It wasn’t until high school that I was “finally able to breathe a little bit.” I remember it was 1994 and I attended Fort Vancouver High, “how could I forget them days.” That’s where I met my BF’s and sisters for life. Vega Holland, Carmen Mercer and Sandita Thomas. The four of us ladies “rocked that school to the core.” (Laughter) Vega and I were captains of the Trapper’s cheerleading squad, everybody knows black chicks got rhythm, we showed those white chicks, up in that school how to put-it-down. Sure did! Are squad was best in region too! We all made plans to attend Oregon State University, after graduation… but things didn’t go quite as planned. Vega and I graduated, Sandi-girl got pregnant in her sophomore year, my parents fore bade me to hang out with her anymore and Carmen, she dropped out over the summer after our junior year and never returned. She had played hooky a lot during the 11th grade, skipping class with a bunch of other girls, going to the Lloyd center mall, to see her boyfriend who had recently graduated from Grant High. I didn’t see much of her either anymore, not until after graduation. My girl V and I however walk across the stage with honors; the feeling was a feeling of knowing

Anything could be accomplished in life with determination. My parents were so proud of me that they surprised me with a brand new 2001 Honda accord. “ooooh that car was my baby!” a shiny, sparkling wine color, fully loaded, pioneer speakers and 17’inch chrome rims, it was fresh for real! I even got my nails painted the same color… man, I loved that car! Yeah those “were the good ol’ days,” now I can’t get my parents to do much of anything after I wound up pregnant in my freshman year at OSU by the Oregon ducks star running back Lonnie Kingsley. They basically disowned me for embarrassing them and disobeying God, by having a child out of wedlock. But through the years they have come around somewhat. My mother adores my son Landen, my father does too; it’s me he still has anger towards. Sometimes its Gods own who can be the worst when it comes to forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment